Why is statistics so sad? Why the projects are failing one by one? Here there is another point of view for this fact 🙂
So. The project is failed. What is a reason?
Of course, the reasons can be a lot. Anyone you will look at looks clearly like the cause! And debriefing can be done until you are blue in face.
The key problem is that the programmers are involved in the deployment. Although, this is a management task. Only the person with the competence of the leader is able to bring the actions to the results regardless of the difficulties.
For deployment it is required 3 key roles (my version):
- project manager (the one who will achieve the result, can be involved from the side)
- programmer (specialist familiar with the program and with the fact how the processes look like on its usage, can be involved from the side)
- specialists on the current processes (usually internal employees, preferably more adequate, although, the competent PM will extract the necessary information even from a drunken baboon)
For deployment it is required 3 key roles:
- Fan – the one who know how the end result looks like and does not afraid to engage in conflict defending the idea, if someone decided to introduced the contradictions in the project, he is trying to restore everything;
- Manager – the one who will be able to combine the old orders with the new ones, will write the instructions, …;
- Godfather – the one whose power ensures the project movement, the one who can apply the administrative resource;
In both versions the roles implies only the roles. They may correspond to a single person or to several ones. It is important that they were.
In addition to the people, it will be needed a computer, the program itself and a piece of paper :).
If to remove the thick books for PMI, PM BOK, Agile … The key rules the violation of which leads to the failure of the project. The rules are very simple. But they are violated in 99% of cases.
- Rule №1. Weekly meeting led by a project manager (PM). Project manager asks the questions, gives the jobs with only one goal… to meet the rule №2.
- Rule №2. At the end of each meeting, it is necessary to make a report on the project state which is then distributed to the entire team. Report is very simple, but very effective, consists of 3 sections. The result for the last period, Action plan for the next period, Detected problems. Opposite each important point, the time constraints and the responsible people. It is possible to add more sections, but these are the key and obligatory ones. They are updated at the end of each meeting.
- Rule №3. The users need the instructions. But the instructions on the processes and functions, rather than on the program objects documents that are included in the package. The difference is essential and we will consider them below.
- Rule №4. Technical support service which is able to solve the complex technical problems and to find the error solutions. Can be remote. But reliable. So, if it is not around, it is possible to buy someone online.
And now, more details on each point.
- For rule №1. Project manager is a key figure. It is possible to break any rules and damage anything, but if PM is adequate, he will fix everything. But if there is no PM or there is a Dummy instead of him, then on each meeting we will know that something is wrong again and the time constraints will be like «well, we need another couple weeks and everything will be fine» or «but we are almost done, it is necessary only to start and complete» or «I do not know the time constraints, there are many nuances here», or may be PM will blame all around and say that all are fools, that this, this or this one guilty in the project failure, but he had done all he could.
- For rule №2. Report is a key to the door where money is kept. In the section Results we write what has been done over the past week and all the results that were achieved in the course of the project. In the section Plan write those actions that are planned, responsible people, time constraints for the next period. In the Problems write some difficulties that lead to the slippage and responsible people. This can be PM himself, programmer, user or technical support service. The report is updated at the end of meeting. It is distributed to the design team. And so on to the next meeting. On the next meeting we sit down, pass the points, time constraints, responsible people. If the term is broken, it is necessary to do everything possible that man no longer wanted to break his word. In general, we try to achieve that the next time either more realistic time constraints were set or no matter what those time constraints were met that were set.
- For rule №3. The program is secondary. It is possible to launch the system without the program. But it is a fantastic to organize the process without the instructions. The instructions are the foundation of the system. But not the instructions that are included in the 1С:Enterprise. You can go to kindle a fire with those instructions. The users have a little help of them, because these instructions are written by the programmers for the programmers. The books also provide little benefit especially for the beginners. The instruction should be written in terms of processes and procedures. A complete order of actions, from А to Z with pictures. Plus, the conditions under which the process begins to branch and weasel, al the possible loops. Like if it is, then go there. Such processes are included in the products like SAP, Navision, DIRECTUM, where the deployment culture is advanced and there is a corresponding category of specialists. But in 1С there is no this category and, thereafter, this knowledge is also unavailable. There are the programmers who do not know what are the instructions for users, what are the processes, what is RS on deployment. They confuse them with the program instructions as well as with the development RS thinking that this is the same thing or something similar.
- For rule №4. 90% of organizations that sell and deploy 1С still refer to the tech.support like to something unimportant. The addresses of users remain without registration, are lost, forgotten, ignored. There is no the control of time constraints. We lose the confidence of users in the first few seconds of cooperation.
It is not necessary to teach the clever books and get into the jungle of theories. These are very simple rules. That you need only to try to accomplish. I understand that it is harder in our times to find PM from p.1 than to scratch your ear with your leg, but any person with managerial competencies will be suitable who will be able to meet the rest 3 points.